Some questions to ask while looking for information:
- What risks does your company need to take in order to stay competitive?
- How healthy are your customer relationships?
- Who are your key customers? What kind of relationship do you have with them?
- Do you have any immediate competition who you consider to be a threat? Are you sharing the same customer based?
- In general, who is your competition? How long have they been a competitor?
Make sure everyone who is involved with the information gathering process not only understands what information is needed, but what the goal is. Why is this knowledge important for the company? The more they understand the more effective they will be.